¡Olé! If Arizona had an official cocktail, it would have to be that deliciously spiced, subtly sweet, salt-rimmed drink that everyone craves, called a Margarita! Interestingly enough, no one knows exactly how the drink originated but what we do know is the Spanish word for margarita means "daisy," which could be the partner in crime! For all tequila lovers out there, Mesa has a margarita selection that knows no limits. Here are a few summer recipes that will suit your Southwestern savory needs.
Smoky Watermelon Jalapeño Margarita by Toni Dash
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper
- 2 ounces tequila (I used a Blanco, or white, un-aged tequila for this)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce watermelon puree
- ¾ ounce agave nectar/syrup
- Hickory smoked salt for rimming the glass
Muddle the jalapeno in a shaker or a pint glass.
Add the tequila, lime juice, watermelon puree and agave nectar. Shake with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass filled with fresh ice and rimmed with hickory smoked salt. Garnish with a slice of watermelon and lime wedge.
Salsa's to savor!
Here in Mesa, you can see the influence from Mexico and our history once you try one of our salsas. Our geographical proximity to Sonora, Mexico gives us first dib's on some of the most authentic Mexican cuisines around.
Pineapple Mango Pico de Gallo Salsa by eRecipeCards
- 2 Cups (3 Ripe) Mangos, Diced
- 2 Cups (1 Ripe) Pineapple, Diced
- 2 Cups (4 medium) Red Peppers, Diced
- 2 Cups (2 Large) Sweet Onions, Diced
- 4 Cups (a Dozen) Firm Roma Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Herbes de provence
- 1 tsp each Salt and Pepper
Assemble all of your ingredients and mix well. Serve chilled, resting in the refrigerator for several hours (preferably overnight) to allow the flavors to meld. Lastly, Enjoy!
For more delicious dishes of the season, check out our Pinterest board dedicated to the Perfect Summer Recipes. Your family and friends will thank you!