Saving room for dessert is always good advice – especially in Mesa. We’ve taste-tested loads of cookies, cupcakes, pies and treats and put together this must-taste guide to sweet treats throughout the region:
- Queen Creek Olive Mill cupcakes feature an assortment of flavored and infused olive oils in the batter, keeping these delectable cakes moist beyond comparison. Owner Perry Rea infuses local citrus into his in-demand extra virgin olive oil, creating incredible cupcake flavors such as Meyer Lemon, Blood Orange and Mexican Lime.
- Piefection serves up perfect pies baked with pure ingredients: freshly ground nutmeg, wild blueberries, Michigan cherries, real butter, and to top it off, fresh whipped cream. Our favorite flavor is the Lemon Meringue Pie which features Mesa-grown citrus. Stop in for a slice or take a full one home to friends. Call ahead, as flavors change seasonally.
- Sweet Cakes Bakery, which was featured on TLC’s “Best Food Ever”, serves up a full menu of sweet delights. Their five-layer brownie has a little bit of everything with cream cheese, chocolate chips, and marshmallows folded into the batter. Those with a sweet tooth will appreciate the made-from-scratch, finger-licking-good fudge frosting.
- In Downtown Mesa, Smitholator Cookie Shop offers up a rotating collection of hand-decorated, seasonally-themed cookie designs and flavors. Need milk to dunk your cookies in? Step up to their milk bar featuring funky flavors including Arizona orange and mocha chocolate from local Arizona farm, Danzeisen Dairy. Custom design your own cookie or sign up for a class and learn the tricks of the cookie-decorating trade.
- Petersen’s Ice Cream offers scoops, sundaes and shakes to local visitors in this old-fashioned parlor. Travel back to the days of soda fountains and ice cream parlors and stack your cone mile-high with a multitude of ice cream flavors including Peach, Cookie Dough, Turtle, Caramel Ripple and Cappuccino.
Share your sweets with us! Post pics of that mile-high ice cream cone or the gooiest brownie you’ve found on Instagram and Twitter using #freshfoodiemesa.